Kale is considered part of the Brassica family, which also includes broccoli and cabbage. But if you don't like cabbage please don't let that put you off. As the 'Queen of Greens' kale is a superfood packed with plenty of health benefits as listed below and there are numerous ways to prepare this beautifully dark leafy vegetable. Such as my Kale, Avocado and Mango superfood salad, which is quick and easy to make.
1. Firstly grab yourself some locally sourced organic kale. There are a variety of types and they're each as good as the other.
3. Place into a bowl. Add a bit of salt, the juice of half a lemon and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
5. Add a teaspoon of honey, some diced mango, chopped red onion, avocado and chilli flakes. Mix well and serve with any accompaniment of your choice.
2. If the kale you have has the stems attached, chop these off and cut the leaves into smaller pieces.
4. Here's where you work for your supper. Firmly squeeze the kale in your hand until you feel it has broken down and is nicely moist. It will greatly reduce in volume in the bowl.
Benefits of kale
- High in Iron
- High in Fibre
- Low calorie
- High in vitamins A, C & K
- High in Calcium
- Great source of anti-oxidants
- Good source of minerals: copper, manganese, potassium & phosphorus
Kale is great for vision and eye health, it can lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. It contains many of the anti-oxidants that are associated with anti-cancer health benefits. Caution should be shown for those on Warfarin or anti-coagulants due to its high levels of vitamin K.
KALE, AVOCADO AND MANGO SUPERFOOD SALAD WITH ROAST POTATOES, ROAST GARLIC AND GRILLED SALMON. BOOM!